Swingball presents choking hazard
A Turkmenian markhor shuffled off its mortal coil last Friday when it became entangled in an “enrichment toy”. Staff at Calgary Zoo were alerted to the unfolding drama by a horrified visitor, but were slow to grasp the seriousness of the incident, telling Aubrey Williams: “Oh, they do that all the time”.
The endangered Himalayan goat had leaped from a log in its enclosure, strangling itself with a rope in the process. Medics were unable to save the animal, despite administering “mouth-to-nose resuscitation and CPR”.
Whether the markhor was unhappily betrothed to a Sudanese man is not known.